WELCOME TO THE HOME OF CHANGE
The SA Wine Industry Transformation Unit (WITU) is a Non – Profit Company incorporated under the first schedule of the companies act of the Republic of South Africa. WITU was incorporated on 17 October 2016 by its founding members, the National Agricultural Marketing Council (NAMC), Vinpro and SA Liquor Brand Owners Association (SALBA), to carry out the following purpose, as set forth in its Memorandum of Incorporation:
- To generate and promote equitable access and participation within the wine value chain in and for the wine industry;
- To strengthen and accelerate the development of the operational and financial capacity of wine farms and businesses owned by black people throughout the value chain in and for the wine industry;
- To increase representation of black people, with a specific focus on black women, at management level in wine cellars, wine businesses and industry organisations through industry programmes for human development in and for the wine industry;
- To promote ethical practices within its community of stakeholders (including workers) through the implementation of well-integrated ethical trade programmes throughout the wine industry;
- To become proactively involved in the upliftment and empowerment of workers and communities comprising of Black People within the wine industry
- To promote socially responsible consumption of the produce of the vine;
- To assist in the facilitation of an all-inclusive social compact for the wine industry
- To implement and receive levies as principal and/or agent, payable by different interest groups in the wine industry for purposes of the above-mentioned objects;
- To carry out general administrative tasks and functions in the furtherance of its objectives.
Dear members and stakeholders
It is with deep concern that we have to share that any form of hate speech and verbal abuse from internal or external stakeholders against any members of our organisation or beneficiaries will not be tolerated.
We want to make it clear that we strongly condemn any signs of this unprofessional behaviour and will take the necessary serious action against any party found guilty of such conduct and abuse. SAWITU’s objective is to ensure that we build businesses and relationships towards a sustainable transformation trajectory.
We have always had an open door policy and trust that we can resolve any matter in a professional, mature and constructive manner. We thank you in advance for your co-operation in this regard.
The Board consists of an independent chairperson and one representative each of the primary wine industry, the secondary wine industry, the black-owned brands, labour and the National Agricultural Marketing Council (NAMC).
- Mr TR Ramabulana (Chairperson)
- Vacant (National Agricultural Marketing Council)
- Mr K Moore (South African Liquor Brands Association)
- Mr R Basson (Vinpro)
- Mr G Benjamin (Labour)
- Vacant ( Black Owned Brand Representative)
National Agricultural Marketing Council (NAMC)
Wine Industry Value Chain Round Table
Wine industry structures such as Vinpro, Vinpro Foundation, SALBA, SAWIS, etc
Under contract to WITU, the Vinpro group provides input cost data to black farmers and brands, monitoring & evaluation, linkages to the commercial sector, business planning, due diligence and Agri-BEE scorecard advice to mutual clients.
The SA wine and brandy industry is represented by the following industry structures: